Search My Blog...

Monday 2 May 2011

Largest Organism in the World.

I came across in my research the giant Armillaria Ostoyae fungus.  Most people believe that the blue whale is the largest organism on earth but infact it is the Armillaria as it covers 2,384 acres of land in eastern Oregon.  Although the most interesting part about the Armillaria for me is the fact that on the surface it looks like any ordinary mushroom but it is underneath the ground that the giant fungus's network spreads and feeds off the roots of trees excreting a digestive enzyme.  It is a good example of how powerfull nature can be without us knowing it as we only found it in 1998.  I like the sense of it growing and thriving and taking over the underground roots and become a part of it. Here, Paul Stamets gives a talk on how this mushroom and others can save the world through pesticides, treating smallpox and cleaning poluted soil etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment